Sea Grant Focus Area: Safe and Sustainable Seafood Supply
This focus area employs research and outreach that catalyze new product innovations to keep the domestic seafood industry financially competitive and environmentally responsible. It supports the development of protocols and training for innovative food safety procedures that reduce risk and enhance consumer knowledge about seafood.
Specific areas of interest to Delaware Sea Grant include:
- Research, development, and transfer of new technologies to enhance the competitiveness and environmental sustainability of the domestic seafood industry.
- Applied research to facilitate the development of new products and innovative educational approaches to increase seafood availability and consumption by the general public.
- Development of partnerships that enhance training within the industry related to seafood safety best practices.
- Work with partners to develop educational programs that inform consumers about the benefits of seafood consumption, safe seafood handling practices, and the importance of sustainable harvesting practices to the health of the domestic fisheries.
- Conduct of outreach activities to support a viable, sustainable domestic aquaculture industry.
For additional information, please also see our latest annual report.
Visit our research project archive to see previously funded projects.
Patrick M. Gaffney—University of Delaware
White perch are used to monitor contaminant levels in the De...
Page Updated on June 21, 2012
Previous research in this focus area investigated the effectiveness of seafood processing techniques in order to protect people from harmful microorganisms.